Are you finding that your work at home space is suddenly feeling cluttered? Do you feel like your productivity has stalled because the stuff around you is intruding on your creativity? Are you unable to find what you need when you want because they’re snowed under?
Here are a few helpful hints that can get your creative juices flowing again.
1. Clear your desk of all paper and supplies
2. Sort through the items as you remove them from your desk; separate them into different categories as needed; Files, books, pens, markers, notebooks, sticky notes and paper clips
3. Take the time to go through your pens to make sure they work and throw out the ones that don’t.
4. Ensure proper filing of important documents, perhaps you can color code according to urgency; Do now/by end of business, tomorrow or the end of the week.
5. Decide whether you want to use a desk drawer organizer for your stationery or if you want to keep them on your desktop
6. If you decide to keep them on your desktop, use a desktop organizer that can hold your most used items such as your favorite pens, scissors, a few sticky notes, some paper clips and a stapler or tape dispenser. Store your excess supplies in a designated space such as a closet or in a desk drawer.
7. Determine what items you need to keep at your desk ; dispose unnecessary paperwork, file away papers and file folders in a convenient file drawer or on a desktop document tray. Use bookends to box in any reference books that are needed regularly and don’t be afraid to use vertical shelving for extra space.
8. To maintain an organized workspace, put things back as you use them, or set aside 5-15 minutes at the end of the work day to ensure that everything is back in its place. Do this a few days and soon you will find yourself in a regular routine.
Keep in mind that the main goal is to find a designated place for everything that you need. You will find things easier and won’t have to waste valuable time going through drawers of clutter! Your clean and organized desk will allow you to shift your focus on what really matters .
Never feel embarrassed to reach out to someone to help you. A professional organizer is always more than happy to assist you in determining where to start. Get your Zen back today!